Thursday, July 4, 2013
More Transfers and Rumors...
As you all should know, the transfer window for the summer has officially opened; and I must say Braulio Vasquez has moved rather slowly. He has already let five planned signings be taken by other clubs. The first is Vitolo (winger) from Las Palmas who is a former teammate of Jonathan Viera. There were hopes that the two would link up again at Valencia but Sevilla beat us to him. The second is Benat Extebarria (midfielder) of Real Betis, who was recently signed by Athletic Bilbao. The third being former Valencia player Andres Palop (goalkeeper), who was signed by Bayern Leverkusen. The fourth being Tomas Pina (midfielder) and lastly Giovanni Dos Santos (forward), both from recently relegated Real Mallorca. Both of them are almost certainly going to recently promoted Villareal, unless the transfer market lives up to its unexpected nature.
Tottenham recently increased their bid for Soldado to about £17 million. In response, Valencia has reiterated that they will only accept a £25.5 million bid (the release clause). Tottenham is a bit hesitant to meet that figure and hopes to take advantage of our financial situation to negotiate the price. As for Soldado, he really hopes to stay in Valencia (we do too) but seems open to a move to the English Premier League.
On a positive note, Miroslav Djukic has plans to include our home-grown striker Paco Alcacer in the first team this year and will not loan him to Getafe. In addition, one source recently reported that we are edging Liverpool FC in the battle for highly-rated Sporting Lisbon defender Tiago Ilori. We have also stepped up the chase for Chelsea defender Oriol Romeu as well as Barcelona winger Gerard Deulofeu, both on loans. However, both Chelsea and Barcelona could end up selling, according to some reports. The former's price is yet undeclared, but Barcelona are demanding € 12 million for their player, which is well beyond our current capacity. If we could negotiate the price or take him on loan, it would be great.
Here are some further transfer rumors:
1. Philipp Hosiner (Forward): 24 year old Austrian striker who currently plays for Austria Wien in the Austrian Bundesliga. Very impressive goal scoring record and cheap. He was the third top scorer in all of Europe in the 2012-13 season, with 32 goals (behind Messi-42 and Ronaldo-33). He managed this in only 36 games. Some might say that it is because the Austrian Bundesliga is less challenging than the other leagues, however he seems capable of taking on the Spanish League to me. He also has 2 goals in 3 games for the Austrian national team. According to the reports, we will only push for this signing or any other strikers for that matter, if we end up selling Soldado.
€ 2.5 million
Main competition: Hoffenheim (Germany)
2. Abel Aguilar (Midfielder): 28 year old Colombian midfielder, on loan with Deportivo La Coruna from Hercules. You might remember him for scoring Deportivo's last minute equalizer in that exciting 3-3 draw with Valencia. To be honest, I don't see why we would want him. He managed 3 goals and 3 assists only in 28 games with the team. He also is not regularly called for the Colombian national team. He was almost taken by Granada but told them to wait since he really wants to move to Valencia. At this point, he seems to be the alternative to Oriol Romeu. The latter should be attainable and is considerably better so I see no need for Aguilar.
Cost: € 3 million
Main competition: Granada FC (Spain), Deportivo La Coruna (Spain)
3. Daniel Aranzubia (Goal Keeper): 33 year old Spanish goalkeeper who currently plays with Deportivo La Coruna. Very experienced keeper with over 400 caps for clubs and country. First goal keeper to score from open-play in La Liga history. Kept 7 clean sheets in 35 games last year, conceding 66 goals in La Liga (1.88 goals per game). Guaita kept 6 clean sheets in 14 games last year, conceding 15 goals in La Liga (1.07 goals per game) while Diego Alves kept 5 clean sheets in 24 games last year, conceding 39 goals in La Liga (1.625 goals per game). Aranzubia seems to be our replacement for Diego Alves. I have seen him play and he does have many good saves, however its difficult to tell how he will do. The stats make him look inferior to our keepers but that might be due to Deportivo's defense.
Cost: € 2 million
Main competition: Real Betis (Spain)
1. Jonas: Previously linked with Tottenham, now he is being called by Sao Paulo (Brazil). Despite expressing his desire to stay, the club might sell him due to the economic situation that has been further hurt by not making the Champions League. In addition, with Paco Alcacer rumored to rejoin the first team, there is simply no room for four strikers. Even if Soldado gets sold, Jonas is not the same threat as Soldado. Even though he rescued as many times with some goals, he also let us down a lot. I would have liked him to stay but I don't see him staying.
Offer: € 6 million (could be sold for more)
2. Diego Alves: As mentioned previously, a replacement is being planned for him. It would've been great to keep two good keepers but since one of them must go, it was decided that it would be Diego Alves. Italian club AS Roma has bid for him and hopes to get him for a cheap price. Other clubs like Manchester City are also interested but only AS Roma has negotiated a price so far.
Offer: € 2 million (too little in my opinion)
We need to be more active on the transfer market so we don't lose great signings like Vitolo, Benat and Dos Santos especially not to our rivals. I really hope we finish up signing Romeu and Deulofeu quickly. I think the former is a versatile and solid player. The latter will link up will with the likes of Juan Bernat and Paco Alcacer since they are all part of the successful Spanish U-20 side. In addition he will brings the pace of Piatti and is a good finisher. Our big names (Rami, Soldado) are again being targeted by many other clubs. While the former seems certain to go, I hope we keep Soldado since he is our target man. I hope whatever we do, will make us serious competitors next year.